Our Prayer List:
- Sandy Campbell started radiation treatments last week; she will complete treatments on Tuesday of this week.
- John Leyland (Dan Leyland’s brother) had open heart surgery Monday in St. Louis (4 by-passes). He is now home.
- Nona McElroy (Phillip McElroy’s mother) was in an auto accident last week.
- Thomas and Christine (Friends of Sherry Spencer’s) had a new baby still born last week.
- Betty Stull fell last week and hurt her back. She is in Mercy Hospital for a few days.
- Sally Luttrull (LaQueta’s mother-in-law) passed away Thursday. Her visitation is Monday at 10:00 AM with funeral services following at 11:00 AM at Barnes.
Others on Prayer List:
Bob & Jorene Thomas, Jim & Irene Haden, Hazel Lawson, Chet McHaffie, Dorothy Dimith, Marck Maienschein, Kortney Parker, Dawson Cook & Carl Galloway.
Reminder – remember the pantry items for Fair Haven - items for week are kool-aid and juice.
Reminder – VBS is scheduled to start Monday, July 16 and run through Friday, July 20; time 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM. Theme – Come Fly With Me!
The Annual Ice Cream Social is scheduled for next Sunday Evening (July 22). We will celebrate birthdays and anniversaries for July.
Can You Locate Your Heart
Everybody knows that their heart is on the left side of the body, for when the National Anthem is heard, our hand is placed over the heart as a sign of devotion to this land. It is likely that few have heard of dextrocardia situs inversus, but about one person in 10,000 suffers from this medical situation where the heart is located in the right side of the body. It is not often fatal to have the heart located in the wrong place, but there is another fatal condition called spiritualitus cardia situs inversus. Having the spiritual heart in the wrong place is always fatal.
The Bible uses the word “heart” 837 times and almost never uses it to refer to the muscle which pumps our blood. It uses the word to refer to our inner being, our souls and our emotions. Who has not heard of the greatest commandment, to love the Lord with all our heart? Our love is tied to our hearts.
Jesus indicated this when He said, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21). The context in which He said this is preceded by two commands:
(1) Do not layup treasures for yourself on earth.
(2) Do layup treasures for yourself in heaven.
Notice how vividly the Lord described the two options where our treasures, and therefore, our hearts, will be focused. Far too many are so focused on physical matters that their hearts are not heaven centered. There is no middle ground, for the verses that follow show that it is impossible for one to serve God and riches (mammon).
Now all of this is tied to the heart. Those in the world, and sadly many Christians, have their hearts located in the wrong place. There is no way anyone can live focused on the physical pleasures which money enables and stay focused on spiritual matters. Why? Because “...where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”